Sunday, August 7, 2011

Full house!

Hello Everyone,

Well, my first day of work is tomorrow- I don't have a classroom (they are building it because they didn't have enough rooms in the school) and my assistant is not going to be there tomorrow.  So, I am teaching kindergarten (40 kids!) and someone else is teaching my class until I have a classroom- I don't understand it, but I have learned to just go with the flow:)

AND...

I live at a school for the deaf in Luquillo, PR.  I have been living here since January and I love it!  There are apartments and dorms here along with the school and the teachers all live here too.  Usually there are four teachers and myself who live at the school.  School starts tomorrow, but really all the work started today!  

-This afternoon, a deaf girl (my age) arrived to stay at the school, she will be here for two weeks then go home for two weeks, then come back.
-A deaf mom and her two deaf girls (8 and 10) are also staying here this week- then we are thinking that the girls will stay every week for school and go home on the weekend.
-Tomorrow, 3 deaf girls (15,13,and 11) are arriving.  They live way up in the mountains in a town where almost everyone is deaf.  They do not know real sign language and have basically no concept of language, so this will be really interesting.
ALL THE BEDS WILL BE FULL!!!!


So, by the end of this year I think I will definitely be trilingual:)

1 comment:

  1. Well, the 3 deaf girls from Orocovis (a town way up in the mountains) did not end up coming. Something happened with the department of educations/ social workers/ etc. and they are not able to come to the deaf school at this time. We are praying for this situation and we'll see how itall works out this year.

    ReplyDelete