Friday, January 11, 2013

Hola! Merry Chiristmas, Feliz ano nuevo, Happy 3 Kings day!

Last semester came and went.  Nothing really eventful happened besides homework, projects, essays, and getting an A in SPANISH 3!!!!!  (Now I am done with Spanish class forever!- I really like speaking the language, it is just the studying that I don't like...)

My last class was on December 6th and my first day of classes will be January 23rd!   YAY for a LONG Christmas break!!!!!

Today I went up the mountain to the town of Orocovis for the seccond time this week.  A volunteer at the deaf school and I went up the mountian to pick up two girls (our friends:) so they could come visit us!!!  On Tuesday, I left at 11:30 and got home at 5:30.  Today another volunteer and I brought the girls home (and went grocery shopping for the school!)  We left at 8:50 and got home at 5:00- it was a long day!

We stopped at Wendys on the way home to eat lunch.  When we walked in the door I saw some people flapping thier arms and I thought, wow they are really annimated today.  Then my eyes (and my brain) made sense of what I was seeing.  I saw the hands sign the word "really".  WOW they are speaking Sign Language- and I can understand!!!  After a while, I introduced myself and we had a converstion.  They invited me to come to Starbucks once a week and join a deaf conversation group that meets there, maybe I will be able to stop by sometime:)
Even more exciting than meeting these deaf people is when I saw that there was also a deaf worker!!!


Since I came back from Guatemala in August, I have been getting more involved at the deaf school where I live here in Puerto Rico.  I have started interpreting the songs, prayer, and announcements (and sometimes the children's class) at chruch on Wednesday nights.  I was also able to fill in for another interpreter on Sunday morning at Betsy's church.  Besides the last song... everything went pretty well!



This is a map of Puerto Rico that Casey (a friend/ volunteer at the deaf school) and I drew and colored.  My goal is to visit the plaza en every town.  As I do, I will post pictures and stories of my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment